The interface is designed to operate handily at resolutions and sample rates of up to 24-bit/192 kHz, and its preamps have been reconfigured to allow for additional headroom over its predecessor, all the while retaining the low-distortion properties of the original unit. Another improvement is the inclusion of analog protection circuitry which guards the interface against power surges.
Boasting S/PDIF connections for interfacing with other digital devices, the 6i6 also acts as a MIDI interface, allowing you to manipulate your DAW by means of a MIDI controller, and thus, to program software instruments, to automate audio via knobs or faders, and to instantiate other commands.
The Scarlett 6i6 offers four balanced outputs for multiple routing setups, as well as two volume-controllable headphone outputs on the front. Metal gain controls and a red metal chassis provide a durable construction which can be taken on the road. The 6i6 provides a round-trip latency as low as 2.74 ms at 96 kHz—an improvement over the first generation—allowing you to record and monitor processed sound sources in real time.
This interface includes versions of Pro Tools and Ableton Live, as well the Focusrite Red Plug-In Suite (AAX, Audio Units, VST) which delivers modules based on the classic Focusrite Red 2 EQ and Red 3 Compressor hardware. Also included is the Softube Time and Tone Pack for further sonic exploration within your DAW.
Intuitive Mix Control and Additional Software
Focusrite Control—an included internal mixer—is designed to facilitate and power an intuitive array of routing setups. It also provides access to internal hardware functions. Furthermore, the 6i6 includes software such as an exclusive Focusrite edition of Pro Tools | First Pack, Ableton Live Lite, the Softube Time and Tone Bundle, Foscusrite's Red Plug-In Suite, and 2GB of Loopmasters samples.
Other Notable Features
- Four analog inputs, including two Scarlett mic preamps with high headroom and minimal distortion
- Two instrument inputs redesigned for high-level pickups
- Digital conversion at up to 24-bit/192 kHz
- Lower latency for performing with effects in real time, with no need for DSP
- Four balanced analog outputs for connecting studio monitors or outboard gear
- Two headphone outputs with dedicated volume controls
- MIDI I/O connectivity, ideal for sending/receiving MIDI
- Stereo S/PDIF In and Out for connecting other digital devices
- Downloadable Focusrite iOS Control app adjusts cue mixes remotely from iOS devices (iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch)